Euphorbia Cuttings

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
derf4three

Euphorbia Cuttings

Post by derf4three »

Hello,
First, someone let me know if jumping into Euphorbia's on the CactiForum is not Kosher :wink: . I'd think there must be a succulent forum.

In any case: Just got back from Grandma's house where I pilfered a multi-branched, tall (roughly 4 feet), skinny columned, green Euphorbia. I'm not quite photo ready yet, but will be shortly.

I took a bunch of cuttings. Some towards the tips, some closer to the main stem/stock, some new growth, some older growth. They all bleed the euphorbia white sap.

I'd like to know the best way to propogate. I've cleaned off the sap and I am currently letting them dry indoors. How much callusing is required? Should they be planted in partial shade/sun? Any time estimates on letting them dry?

Thanks
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi there,

What's done is done.

You need to take the cuttings from new growth, preferable close to the joints and in the active growth period - you have better chances. To stop the latex flowing just pour a bit of warm water or put some pepper powder.

BE AWARE OF THE EXTREMELY TOXIC LATEX - AVOID CONTACT WITH YOUR EYES OR SKIN.

Keep the cuttings in a dry and warm place for 7 - 10 days and pot them in a free draining mixture of gritty sand and peat. Avoid direct sunlight for a while. If you are confident that the plant will take off and shows clear signs of new growth you can place it gradually in a sunny position.

That's generally - best way to do it may vary from species to species (and there are quite a lot of Euphorbias, some easier some harder to grow).

Eduart