Little Outdoor Grow Area 3rd yr. UPDATE!!

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
*Barracuda_52*

Little Outdoor Grow Area 3rd yr. UPDATE!!

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Well i have taken the plunge and am attemping to grow Opuntia and some other plants in a small area. I wanted a spot that was not in the middle of the yard, so i have a small slopping side by the trees that gets sun from 8:30am till 7pm, its very fast draining there water or winter ice never builds up in this spot, so the work has begun. Thanks to Daiv for sending me some opuntia pads to start befour winter hits. Im gona put some hens & chicks out there and also get a few agaves, they will be in pots sunk alittle down in so that i can remove them when it gets to cold and move them into the house i also have few aloes to place around.. Theres gona be 2 levels taller plants in back shorter plants up front. I know it looks like crap right now but will be much nicer once im done and plants in place. This is how it looked yesterday at 8am.
and then this morn at 8am
the sun was fast comming around and i was running outa shade since i whacked alot of tree branches down, was getting to hot to work, we have some bad storms comming in so i have to get as much done as i can, even if i fry.. :shock:
I gota get 2 more wagons of gravel and more big rocks, then this little guy was visiting me out there while i was working.. :D

Will update when its completed, might not be till the storms have past..
Last edited by *Barracuda_52* on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Ok its past 98 sitting in the sun right now so i had to take a break for a few, the wind is awful blowing sand in my eyes. This is how far i got,
had to find the 1 branch creating the shade spot there in the back and whack that out. Next thing i gota do when i go back out there is mix pesticide granules/top soil and some pea gravel all in with the first 3 inches of top sand, then put down a layer of top soil then the gravel. Have to cut a lattice pannel to fit the back drop. Will post more pics soon..
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Tracey Good luck with your project. It's cool that you got some pads of the winter hardy stuff. I could send you some pads, but they wouldn't make it out in the cold...:) Maybe next year if you need more, I can have some ready to be cut...:)

So far it looks nice. I am sure you are just loving the heat and humidity, it must have traveled from AZ! :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Finaly some cloudy shade, it was so hot out today the sun was making me sick. Anyways got the scrap crap lattice up with the scrap wood left laying around, gota trim one end more even. :oops: Got the sand mix done now i got rocks placed where i want um to be when done and will do the rest tomarrow if its not raining. I still gota do another layer of top soil mix then light gravel with rocks in place then the plants, the bottom will be done befour the top, need some more plants for that section. Gota mow the weeds and get rid of tree branches i cut thats behind the lattice pannel.
Ahhhhhhh SHADE!! 8)
and alittle more done..
Im gona paint and poly the pannel or just leave it natural and poly it.

Will update again when its done.. :wink:
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

Looks like a fun project. :D
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Tracey, you don't mess around! You really made fast progress. Those cactus are going to be so happy in your care, I just know it!

Is the woods on the north side of the bed?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Well took today off my bad ankle was swollen real bad/painful :cry: and i had it proped up most the day :( I did get more seedling cacti repotted while sitting on my arse, anyways hope to have most the cacti bed completed by late tomarrow.
Daiv if your standing infront of the cacti garden looking at it with the trees behind it thats facing north. The cacti bed is facing south. Its nothing fancy and i aint perffect and im not out to impress anyone, its just my little cacti garden grow area to enjoy.. :D
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That is a good arrangement. It will be fun to watch them grow for you.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Looking forward to following this Tracey, take care of yourself first. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Thanks guys, well despite my bad ankle which is no better today, im gona be out working on the little garden spot. Its alittle cooler today very muggy, mostly cloudy so im sure i will have some spots of shade, the rain we were supose to get the past 2 days and so forth just keeps missing us, we need it badly. Just me and the dog out there everyone left me and went to town, im just gona sit on a blanket and work my way around placing plants and gravel. Still need to paint and poly the lattice pannel. Told hubby i need some Agaves he was like "WHATS THAT!" Sooooooooo i had to show him some pics and told him no rush just when hes out and about over the next few weeks if he sees any to grab me some. He better not come home with any WEEDS.. :evil: I should have just glued a pic of an Agave to his eyeballs.. :P

Will snap some pics later after i get more done..
Peterthecactusguy

does your hubby ever enjoy tequila?
He should know what an agave looks like from the bottles?

I have a cap around here somewhere that has a picture of an Agave on it. :)

Good luck with your garden space, and be careful.

I got a bad knee so I know how that can be.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Peter hubby dont drink tequila, hes a rum and coke guy and drinks beer from time to time.

Ok this is what got done today, i know it looks crappy but ya know what, i dont care its my little space of cacti enjoyment.. :P :D
When i started, im so sick of washing road gravel and pea gravel.. :roll:
onward, now more done, yes the opuntia pads are in there.. :P some are tiny little pads..
front view..
overhead view.
i still need to add 2 more opuntias which are potted so i can pull them for winter and some other succulents. I need to get me 2 or 3 Echinocereus Reichenbachii or so called lace cacti to also put out there. Next i will start working on the top section and get the pannel painted. Im done for a few days..
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Looks great! You'll be surprised at how fast those Opuntias fill in! And if you aren't careful, you might end up with more cold hardys to plant too.
Peterthecactusguy

haha, Tracey looks good. Your little Opuntia patch will be overgrown about 2 months after mine! :)

And yeah. You will have it filled in pretty soon :)
(it looks great!:))
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Thanks guys, Daiv i would love to add more cold hardy cacti, but this months funds are depleted. :( Hubby ended up comming home with another pot full of cacti for me after he paid some bills today said he he had few bucks left and wanted to get me something, to bad they aint cold hard ones. :P Anyways i look foward to adding to this little grow area over time and i hope all the opuntias grow well enough to make it thru winter. Im excited/happy just to have what i do and am thankful for all the help/info and the nice gifts of opuntia pads.
Thanks for helping me get started Daiv. :wink: