I need to slow down.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
SkyClan Cat

I need to slow down.

Post by SkyClan Cat »

I just got the tiny Gymno about a week ago. Wanted to get some soil so I could finally repot stuff, ended up instead with another plant that needs repotting because my mom said I could get something. And I got a sort of scary one just because nearly all the others had messily and tightly glued on strawflowers, while this one's was just barely on.

And now I really want a Parodia leninghausii; would've actually gotten one of those if it wasn't for the strawflowers glued firmly on top of the spines.
iann

Post by iann »

That's a pretty vigorous one, and generous with (real!) flowers too.
--ian
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Blasphemy! Never need to slow down! At least until you're out of room... and then you just find more room :D

Nice plant! Welcome to the Addic Er ah... Hobby! :wink:
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

lol I never have slowed down. I have plenty of plants I have been given, rescued or stepped on! :) I got several C. bigelovii and C. fulgida stem segments by stepping on them.

BTW that's a nice Mamm. It should flower for you :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

paulzie32 wrote:Blasphemy! Never need to slow down! At least until you're out of room... and then you just find more room :D
But I've only had cacti for a little over two months and haven't even had a chance to get any soil! XD
iann

Post by iann »

Soil is good :) Spring is a good time to get it together so you can repot your collection and give them a good growing season.
--ian
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Be sure to read up on the cacti mixes, and get everyone else hooked too, because slowing down is not an option!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
SkyClan Cat

Re: I need to slow down.

Post by SkyClan Cat »

SkyClan Cat wrote:And now I really want a Parodia leninghausii
So we went to Home Depot earlier...

Their cacti really seemed to have it in for my fingers, though. XD

Anyway, about the Mamm... it's about 2 inches tall. Can I expect it to flower sometime this year, maybe?
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Nice one.
Funny how they are called "golden balls" though with the way the grow up to look.

And you ain't seen nothing untill you have repotted a E. grusonii (golden barrel). Those spines went straight through my thick workgloves. Even more so when I dusted the gloves off by slapping my hands together...without checking if I had any wayward spines stuck in the gloves first. :shock: Required pliers to get that spine out of my hand. :lol:
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

XD I think I'll pass on that.

...And a Google image search just now confirmed my suspicion. That bizarre crested thing next to the golden balls (and hilariously incorrectly labeled as one of them) was in fact an Opuntia, which might explain the tiny blood spot when I pinched a spine out.
CactusLover

Post by CactusLover »

Harriet is right: slowing down isn't an option. Once you are hooked on cacti, you are hooked for good! :D
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

lol it's always the cactus in the pot next to the one you are picking up that gets you, unless it's an Opuntia. Planting Opuntia is difficult esp if they are big!

So far the only spine that has drawn blood for me was a cholla..
The C. leptocaulis which I walked into when it was hiding in a bush. I call them ankle biters! :lol:

BTW I think you are officially hooked!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Cacti77

Mammillaria

Post by Cacti77 »

iann wrote:That's a pretty vigorous one, and generous with (real!) flowers too.
Yes the Mammillaria will grow lots of small pink flowers eventually, they will produce a ton of viable seed. I harvested a ton of seeds from a fairly large Mammillaria spinosissima last year, the seeds are growing great this year.

This species of Mammillaria will produce seed by itself, no need to have two plants. :D