Selenicereus stock long livedness

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
alkravi

Selenicereus stock long livedness

Post by alkravi »

Selenicereus is a temporary stock for grafting, everyone knows that. As far as I understand old scions get too heavy and stock bends. Is it the main reason to consider it temporary stock?

What I'm planning to do is to graft some Discocactus seedlings on 10 cm long stocks and few months later cut the scion leaving about 1 cm of Selenicereus under it, root it and bury it in the ground. Does it sound like a good idea? Will it be able to live at least 10 years as a stock in this conditions? As an alternative I will regraft my Discos on Myrtillocactus and cut it later the same style. But I'd prefer to save my Myrts for other needs.
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

I haven't tried it yet my self, but what I've heard it will not work. I think it was Arzberger that have tried it and failed :roll:
alkravi

Post by alkravi »

Guys, I will ask the question the other way, it's not even a question as a matter of fact. Please post here the age of your oldest graft on Selenicereus and name the scion.
alkravi

Post by alkravi »

Since nobody has grafts on Selenicereus I'm posting an answer for my own question. Selenicereus can serve as hidden stock up to 25 years, it also can survive (as hidden stock) low temps easier than Myrtyllocactus. I was told that by an owner of such old grafts.