John C's 2012 Outdoor Cacti - Garden Reconstruction - DONE!

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
John C

John C's 2012 Outdoor Cacti - Garden Reconstruction - DONE!

Post by John C »

Last year was a tough year for my garden. It suffered many casualties. First it survived the snowiest year on record, then one of the coldest years, then it went through a hot drought stricken summer (all the while our sprinkler system was not working right and would go on more than I told it to), and now it is springtime after a very mild and unusually wet winter.

The soil has sunk, so it is hardly above ground level now, and some things I did when building it are showing through in a bad way. (I noticed I planted some plants too low, and my soil has way to much organic matter).

I lost some of my most established plants. :idea: Including:

2 Echinocereus coccineus or triglochidiatus, my large clump and my small clump. (Both had ant hills beneath them. I don't know if that is related but that was common underneatht he dying ones) I think they died from a combination of things, but the recent wet winter was a contributing factor.
1 Coryphantha sulcata - died from effects of the heat and sun during last summer
1 Escobaria missouriensis - Too much sun during summer
1 Echinocactus horizonthalonius - Last fall, I have not the slightest idea why this one died. It was growing great, then it just died.
1 Echinocactus texensis - Also a mystery, it died during last summer
1 Echinocereus dasyacanthus - Don't know, it died during last summer as well.
Also 1 Trithrinax campestris - during summer (Desert palm tree. I think it died from getting hit by the sprinkler too much when it was malfunctioning.

Needless to say my garden is pretty sad looking right now. :|

For reference here it is last year at the end of march:

Looking back at the pictures I see how perfect everything looked. Most of the plants had been there for a couple years and were well established. I'm pretty disappointed about it, but I guess I will take it as a time to rework the garden. Since many plants are gone, there is less I have to disturb so it is the perfect time. My plan is to raise the border again so it is significantly above soil level, then to get a lot of soil with little to no organic materials in it and mix some in with the current soil then just put the new soil on top. Then re-plant the few plants I will dig up to accomplish this, then start over. It won't be the same this year without all of those awesome specimens flowering, but I guess it will be better this way in the long run.
Last edited by John C on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
hoteidoc

Re: John C's 2012 Outdoor Cacti

Post by hoteidoc »

John, it's all relative. To these Northeastern eyes, your Garden looks Great! But we all seem to be in conflict with "the weather", no matter where we're living. Sorry about your loses. Many of those I'm trying to get established here in upstate NY - challenging, but do-able. We've had nothing but gray, 30's & precip every 3 - 4 days since Thanksgiving! I'm expecting major loses, but nothing out & out dead now. Glad you're seeing the Silver Lining to the situation -- that's exactly what I'm doing. I need at least double the gravel. You know 2 years from now you'll have figured out how to get 3X as many plants in there :D The Pedio. simpsonsii that I got last Oct., I "wisely" decided to leave in clay pot & brought it in this Winter, is definitely budding! So as they taught us in Vet school: 70% of them will get better, in Spite of what we do"! :wink:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
John C

Post by John C »

hoteidoc wrote:John, it's all relative. To these Northeastern eyes, your Garden looks Great! But we all seem to be in conflict with "the weather", no matter where we're living. Sorry about your loses. Many of those I'm trying to get established here in upstate NY - challenging, but do-able. We've had nothing but gray, 30's & precip every 3 - 4 days since Thanksgiving! I'm expecting major loses, but nothing out & out dead now. Glad you're seeing the Silver Lining to the situation -- that's exactly what I'm doing. I need at least double the gravel. You know 2 years from now you'll have figured out how to get 3X as many plants in there :D The Pedio. simpsonsii that I got last Oct., I "wisely" decided to leave in clay pot & brought it in this Winter, is definitely budding! So as they taught us in Vet school: 70% of them will get better, in Spite of what we do"! :wink:

Very true. I hope yours pull through fine! You never know.
Believe me, once my garden gets going again, I will find a way to squish as many plants in there as I can keep alive :wink:
Be sure to post pics when the pedio blooms! 8)
"Where the West begins"
Jens

Post by Jens »

I´m sorry for your losses of nice old plants John, but it´s a great chance to start somthing new. Maybe you should try seedlings that are going to adapt to the situation from the begining. :idea:
I had two EC russsanthus outside this winter: The seedling is doing fine and the bigger plant lost its roots (but fortunately is not dead altogether)
Hochbeet EC russantus L1026 2012 März06.jpg
Hochbeet EC russantus L1026 2012 März06.jpg (85.42 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
Hochbeet EC russantus DJF 2012 März06.jpg
Hochbeet EC russantus DJF 2012 März06.jpg (92.19 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

It still looks pretty darn good to me! Your planned improvements will be easier now than if there were more plants to move while you build the bed up, so that's a gift in itself. I guess one lesson to be learned is that it is better to build the beds too high to begin with... everything settles with time.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
John C

Post by John C »

Jens wrote:I´m sorry for your losses of nice old plants John, but it´s a great chance to start somthing new. Maybe you should try seedlings that are going to adapt to the situation from the begining. :idea:
I had two EC russsanthus outside this winter: The seedling is doing fine and the bigger plant lost its roots (but fortunately is not dead altogether)
I think that is a good idea. I ordered a bunch of seeds for future outdoor plants, but until then I will have to get an order together for some new, young plants for my garden.
That is interesting. Good luck with the one without roots - I hope it re-roots for you!
"Where the West begins"
John C

Post by John C »

Harriet wrote:It still looks pretty darn good to me! Your planned improvements will be easier now than if there were more plants to move while you build the bed up, so that's a gift in itself. I guess one lesson to be learned is that it is better to build the beds too high to begin with... everything settles with time.
Very true! I am amazed at how much it settled. I expected it to settle some, but it settled much more than I anticipated.
"Where the West begins"
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

John C wrote: I think that is a good idea. I ordered a bunch of seeds for future outdoor plants, but until then I will have to get an order together for some new, young plants for my garden.
I've got a some extra 2-3 year olds if you want some instant seedlings for your garden.
John C

Post by John C »

Andy_CT wrote:
John C wrote: I think that is a good idea. I ordered a bunch of seeds for future outdoor plants, but until then I will have to get an order together for some new, young plants for my garden.
I've got a some extra 2-3 year olds if you want some instant seedlings for your garden.
I might be very interested! :D What do you have?
"Where the West begins"
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

pm incoming
John C

Post by John C »

Here is a short update on what's going on.

As you can see I raised the border up quite a bit (To a little higher than it was originally).

The next step is to dig up some of the plants towards the front, mix in the current gravel with the current soil (Maybe take some of the old soil out), then put lots of new, better, soil on top, then replace lost and dug up plants. Now I just need to figure out what soil mixture to use :-k

Anyhow, even though there is not much show stopping action in the garden like past years, there are still some neat things going on!

My Yucca pallida is going to bloom for the first time! I dug this one up from a friends property nearby and it nearly died, but it came back and now thrives. I am very excited to watch it flower!
(Old picture, the flower stalk has grown over a foot since then.)

Opuntia 'Ellisiana' is putting on lots of growth.

And this opuntia is LOADED with flower buds!

Last edited by John C on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where the West begins"
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Lots of buds is the way we like 'em!

That big spineless Opuntia is O. 'Ellisiana' or as one site calls it O. cacanapa 'Ellisiana'. The fresh new growth is unmistakeable.
John C

Post by John C »

Andy_CT wrote:Lots of buds is the way we like 'em!

That big spineless Opuntia is O. 'Ellisiana' or as one site calls it O. cacanapa 'Ellisiana'. The fresh new growth is unmistakeable.
Thanks for the ID! Everyone grows them around here, but I never knew what it's real name is.
"Where the West begins"
John C

Post by John C »

Here is an update on the Yucca pallida

Opuntia 'Ellisiana'

Buds!

Seedlings!

I don't know what these are, but they are popping up all over my garden. I guess we will see as they grow. I have already dug out about 15 and put them in pots.

My backyard bed is doing well.

Opuntia polyacantha is doing well!

Mammillaria heyderi
Buds!

Echinocereus rechenbachii
Look at all of those buds!

"Where the West begins"
cactuslee

Post by cactuslee »

that last one is really cool. what a nice surprise to have babies popping up in your garden.