Melocactus question

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ondy

Melocactus question

Post by ondy »

Hello cacti lovers,

I was repotting a few cacti today when I noticed a strange phenomenon with a set a melocacti I have. I was repotting them becuase I noticed they seem to have been a bit sluggish and not producing any new growth so I thought a repotting might help. When I got them out of the pot I noticed they seemed to loose their outlying roots very easily and that the undside of them was curling up inside. I said to myself immediately I must ask someone about this. Thinking it would be hard to explain I snapped a few pictures. Take a look pictures 8-10 to see what I am refering to.
http://public.fotki.com/Ondy/my_collect ... sciformis/
Is this normal? Is it a result of environmental factors? Please note that these Melos have yet to produce any cephaliums and I was told that they would develop while the plants where fairly small.
I am wondering if this squatting effect is a result of them starting to produce their cephaliums. I haven't seen any of the melos I've had through to maturity or they where already mature when I got them so I have little comparison. I noticed the same things on another Melocactus concinnus of mine which was purchased as a mature specimen. The outer edges are turned under beneath the plant and it too seems to have very little outlying root structures, in fact none at all. Also I noticed the same curling in Gymnocalycium saglione that I have.
Any Ideas?

Thanks
templegatejohn

Melocactus

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi there,

I am probably the wrong person to be giving you advice because I have never really had much success with this particular genus but here goes.

Melocactus do not have a very strong root system and partly because of this transplanted adult plants are notoriously difficult to acclimatise to their new surroundings.

The roots of Melocactus naturally tend to spread outwards, rather than downwards. They will grow quite successfully in a pan or half pot because of this type of root growth. I may be wrong, but do not think that your problem is anything serious. Perhaps the roots have turned upwards to collect any moisture that is near the surface of the compost.

I don't know if we have a Melocactus expert on board, but if so your ideas would be welcome.

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ondy,
I do believe that if you do a little looking you'll find that Melo's are a bit different than other terrestrial cacti in their care. They live where moisture is readily available. I am Going to quote Elisabeth Manke's book Cactus and I think this will help.

"Melocactus needs heat and abundant moisture. the soil should be rich in humus. However, the Melon Cactus will also grow in pure quartz gravel, as discoveries in Brazil (Bahia) attest. It may be kept in the sun. Its principal growing season is in the fall. In winter it needs a temperature of about 35degrees F; the soil should never be allowed to dry out completely. Once the plants have formed their white and red top -their cephalium -they should not be repotted."

I think the key note here is not to let the soil dry as is custom with almost all other terrestrial cacti.

Hope this is helpful!

Daiv