Lithops winter light

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Rob

Lithops winter light

Post by Rob »

I asked this in the post on lithops winter growing, but nobody has responded, perhaps because it's at the end of an older topic. So, I thought I'd start it as a new post-

I'm wondering if it would be advisable to store my lithops in my basement over the winter where my cacti will be. I'm going to try and keep the temp. around 50F and have some flourescent grow lights. Would they get enough light this way?

Alternatively, they'd have to be kept in a sunny window in the heated house - which I've done in past years, with mixed flowering results the following year.

Rob
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Rob,

Take a look at the Succulent of the Month. John has answered a lot of basic culture questions on Lithops.
Buck Hemenway
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks, I hadn't seen that - definitely good information!
Unfortunately, didn't answer my question, though...

Rob
iann

Post by iann »

I don't mess with trying to provide enough light for Lithops in winter. They are perfectly happy sitting out the whole period cool and dry, doing their thing or not as natural light allows. So I just stick them on the brightest available window sill. I think I may leave some of the hardier ones (that I can afford to lose) out in an unheated greenhouse or cold frame next year to see how they react. Perhaps in a very hot climate with an extended summer dormancy I'd want to make the most of winter for growing but they could probably stay outside in such a climate and be all the better for real sunlight.
--ian