Cactus Picture Contest #13

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
daiv
Site Admin

Cactus Picture Contest #13

Post by daiv »

Ok this works out just right.

For our picture contest number 13 I'm proposing a new format. I got the idea from the Gates CSS. In their October meeting they have a contest for the "best" DEAD plant. So for contest 13 the subject is "Dead Cactus" contest 13.

The rules for this contest I propose are:

1. Cactus in picture must be dead (or as good as dead).

2. Voters should give special consideration if there is a "story" behind the untimely demise of the submissions.

3. The submissions will run from the 15th to the 22nd while the voting will run from the 23rd to the 31st (Halloween Night). I considered starting it on "Friday the 13th", but figured Sunday the 15th would probably be OK.

Comments?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

prickly wrote:has it got to be a "dead" dead cactus or a mock "dead scary" cactus,if it is the first one,we dont have any dead or dying ones :shock: :shock: :shock: ,we hope :shock: :shock: we only grow live :lol:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think for this go around we should have honest to goodness dead cacti. For those who haven't had any cacti die on them yet (it is inevitable) or haven't photographed them in that condition can at least still participate in the voting.
Franj

Post by Franj »

I think it's a great idea :D How ironic this happens to be contest nunber 13! :D

Can I assume we aren't going to rule out skeletal remains? Some can be quite beautiful.

Franj
hob

Post by hob »

i have a 1\2 dead one :lol: the main plant and one offset seems to have died for no reason while i was on holiday.............strangely the other 2 offsets are still alive :? i can't tell if they are still living through the main plant roots or if they have their own roots (i don't want to uproot it this late in the year to find out) :?
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think skeletons would be especially appropriate Franj!
cactusveda

Post by cactusveda »

to me, if you do not have a dead cactus then either you have not collected cacti at all or you are lying!! :evil: :lol: :lol:
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

oh we have had one/two, but I tend not to photograph them :D all we have is a sick one which I hope is recovering. Having said that, we are new in this field of horticulture so there is time yet. I suppose I should do....could build up a database of cacti problems, however I hope it doesn't fill up with ours. :lol: :lol:
someone pass me the tweezers!
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Great idea, though I haven't photographed a dead cactus... I do have a couple hanging around that I haven't had the heart to throw out yet... just in case they are resurrected! (I have a couple of those too... maybe the topic for another comp someday).

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- can the dead cactus be in the wild (so to speak-- the one I'm thinking of is a huge O. imbricata skeleton along a busy street here) or cultivation only?

Peterb
hob

Post by hob »

i don't have any dead ones (not been at it long enough to kill many yet) :?

but i have a friend with a shotgun Image
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

I had a winner, a Gymnocalycium schickendantzii with really long spines. It was a bright red transitioning to yellow. After two years of absolutely no signs of growth (or death), I picked it up to find it had no roots at all. I put it in a pot earlier this year and hoped to coax it back to life, but got no response. I finally tossed it a couple of months ago. But I never took a picture :(

I do have another candidate ready to be removed from the ground, but it is not nearly as photogenic as the other plant.
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

It'll be kinda hard to make a dead plant attractive

hob said...
i don't have any dead ones (not been at it long enough to kill many yet)
but i have a friend with a shotgun
:lol: :lol: :lol:

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

I was in the process of trying to dress an old bearded Ferocactus in a tie-dyed "T" and photoshop in one of S.C. Bill's strats when it occurred to me that Daiv would surely disqualify me, again [-X
[-X
Maybe after about 200 chorus of "Sugar Magnolia" he would chill out and change his mind??

Back to the drawing board ... GeneS :)

P.S. Advance aplolgies to our non-US members that might have no clue what I'm speaking about. For a hint, Google the song title!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well CP, the winner might not be the most attractive, but the most grusome or with the best story. :confused2: