Lithops question

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Bill in SC

Lithops question

Post by Bill in SC »

Can you water Lithops when they are in bud, and then cease after they flower, or do you cease water when they first start budding? I have three budding, and one to bloom today or tomorrow..
Bill in SC
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Yes Bill, you can water them when they are in bud, but remember you want the soil to start drying off after they have flowered so do not soak them too much.

John
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Thanks John! With my coarse mix, and them in their two inch pots, they should dry quickly.. I will water lightly.. But if I understand correctly, after the bloom NO water until spring, no matter how shriveled they become? BTW How long does a Lithops flower last?
Bill in SC
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Yes, your right Bill, no water after flowering. The new body will start to grow inside the old one and it will take all the moisture and nutrient it needs from the old body.

No set time on the flowers as it depends on the weather, but they can last up to a week.

John
iann

Post by iann »

I don't usually water in flower but might give them a drink as the buds are appearing if they are ready. The buds and flowers definitely develop more vigorously with a little water. Plants that flower in July and August I water away until they are finished. You'll have to see how much sun and warmth they are getting when in flower. Precious little of either here by October so I can't be watering them much.

The aim of not watering a Lithops over winter is to allow the new leaves to emerge easily in late winter or early spring and for the old leaves to be consumed cleanly. The aim is not to starve the plant to death! In practice, getting rid of the old leaves in spring is easy with most species but if you have really pumped up leaves at the end of winter then the new ones tend to grow too tall before they can break through, or they will burst the old leaves because they are too firm. Lithops actually do require water over winter (some habitat locations receive more water in winter than in summer or autumn), just so very little of it that the only practical answer in northern areas is not to water at all. I am convinced that Lithops can absorb small amounts of water just from humid air, they plump up over winter even when not watered, but it may be something like tiny amounts of water remaining in the soil or the new leaves growing inside pushing against the wrinkly old leaves.

Small seedlings require somewhat more water, and even adult plants in very warm sunny areas or in extremely arid air may require spraying a few times over winter. Don't panic when they get a but wrinkled, or even quite a lot wrinkled, by January, but if they look at death's door by the end of November then by all means give them a spray.
--ian
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Yes Iann, I am sure you are right about taking moisture from a humid atmosphere. In fact in their native habitat, some species at certain times of year have only early morning mists as their only source of moisture.

John