"Dead Cactus" -Contest #13 (Submissions Only)

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
daiv
Site Admin

"Dead Cactus" -Contest #13 (Submissions Only)

Post by daiv »

For our picture contest number 13 I'm proposing a new format. I got the idea from the Gates CSS. In their October meeting they have a contest for the "best" DEAD plant. So for contest 13 the subject is "Dead Cactus" contest 13.

The rules for this contest I are:

1. Cactus in picture must be dead (or as good as dead).

2. Voters should give special consideration if there is a "story" behind the untimely demise of the submissions.

3. The submissions will run from the 15th to the 22nd while the voting will run from the 23rd to the 31st (Halloween Night).

Post all your pictures for "Dead Cactus" -Contest Number 13 in this thread.

Contest will run from October 15 through October 31

You have Until October 22, 2006 to enter a picture in the contest.

Voting will be from October 23 to October 31

Please review this post for the contest rules: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=888

Let the contest begin!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

As usual I'll get the contest started with this C. fulgida remnant. I took this in Arizona this past spring.

Franj

Post by Franj »

Here's mine, the stump of an Echinopsis pachanoi I dug out of the yard this year and threw on the compost pile. Found it about mid summer when I was harvesting some compost. Beautifully preserved.

I'm a woodworker as well as a gardener so I'll be making something out of this. Just haven't figured out what yet.

Franj

comike

dead cactus

Post by comike »

Its in 2 pieces so its "as good as dead".
Heres the story: This Silver Cholla segment rooted & put out 4 new limbs (you can barely see them in the picture) then I went crazy watering it. The base of it rotted, so I stopped watering it. Then it looked better so I watered it again. Then it fell over so I stopped watering it. Then I realized the sprouts on top were still green (and growing) so I watered it.
Then the black at the base of it started spreading upwards so I stopped watering it. Then the Forum advice said pull it out of the soil & let it dry out completely -so I did. After it dried out I put it back in (dry) soil, but a few days later I accidently lowered the blinds onto it and it cracked in half. :shock: cheers, Mike

ondy

Post by ondy »

Oh, this great the first time in awhile I post for the picture contest and it's a dead cactus. :oops:
This is a Coryphanta macromeris v. "viola". This came from Miles Anderson and when I first got this disease on these plants and no others I thought I had done something incredibly wrong. I discussed it with Miles and sure enough even he had a bunch of these basically melt from what he thinks is a fungus. It was a very quick death and was a black gooey mess within two days.

Andy
hablu

Post by hablu »

Here is my contribution for this time. I had this C straussi for quite some years and he was doing real nice. Flowered once with more than twenty flowers. Last winter I had it in a warm place in the house and neglected him till spring. And that was deadly. I'm trying to save the offset now, but ....... well...let's say: I still have a bit of hope. Harry
faslimy

Post by faslimy »

These astrophytum seedlings suffered the fate of a late autumn watering (thankfully about half the tray survived and was probably better off for it)

They still look pretty but have no roots and most of the inner flesh is orange in colour, in other words.. they're toast.

tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Tony

Post by Tony »

Im not sure what it is,but Im sure it is dead. :(
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Here's my submission at the last minute.
I had dreams that I would see the magnificent flowers of this one day... but alas, it is no more than just a prickly stick and narry a flower to be had.

Harrisia jusbertii...

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

A little group of plants, 3 dead and two alive :)

ID, someone?

/Chrizz
camperjoe

Post by camperjoe »

dead, just dosen't know it. How long does it take a saguaro to die?
how do I make this picture display larger in this post??

Edit by Daiv: Joe -you were linked to the thumbnail. I updated it to the larger picture.

mavaz

Post by mavaz »

Hi:

This is my post: A dead Echinomastus ungispinus. A friend gave me this beautiful plant. With more than 8 shots, this plant was unique. But after a long trip I found the plant almost dead. As I failed in maintain alive the cacti I decided to keep the cacti "cadaver". In Mexico we use to celebrate the "day of the dead" in November 2nd. In this celebration we remember to the ones we love and that aren´t no more with Us. Is also usual to buy someone little sugar skull. So, I decided to buy a skull for my Echinomastus.....
The pictures is here:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/ ... hinung.jpg

Regards
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Last minute -ENTRY NUMBER 13! :pale:

Hello Dead-Cactus Society member,
I just found out that I missed the deadline on the "dead cactus" picture contest. I took the image last Saturday, but have to use my office equipment (photoshop, etc.) to process it. Well, I had a truly sad story to tell about this marvellously spined Eagle Claw cactus that was rescued, only to succumb to an excess of water at its new home, my front yard. I never saw the poor thing bloom and truly hate it when something like this happens to an innocent plant. However, I did not want to have taken its last picture in vain. Here it is. Please join me in my hours of sorrow.

Harald