Urgent! Trichocereus Pachanoi?????

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
HillyBoi

Urgent! Trichocereus Pachanoi?????

Post by HillyBoi »

Hey folks, can anyone tell me if this is a Trichocereus Pachanoi? If not do you know what it is or if it's anything related to the Trichocereus Pachanoi.

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That's not pachanoi, it's what they commonly refer to as 'Cereus peruvianus'.

Don't eat it! :lol:
ondy

Post by ondy »

I'll agree with Daiv on that. They are both fairly similar with the peruvianus usually having longer and more spines. If you are planning to consume please be aware that the alkaloid content of these cacti is extremely variable. No one is really sure why though. T. pachanoi is generally excepted to be more potent I believe that it is the cultivation conditions that contribute to the relative alkaloid content. Plants that are under more environmental stress will usually produce higher alkaloid levels. If you are not happy with the results you should let a callus develop, which should take a few weeks to a month, on what's left of that nice top portion you have. After that plant it in a pot and wait to water it for about three weeks to a month.

Goodluck
Andy
Last edited by ondy on Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kari

Post by kari »

...on what's left of that nice top portion you have then plant it in a pot.
I'm sorry, Andy, I didn't quite follow that.

Thanks,

kari
ondy

Post by ondy »

kari,

you should be my proof reader.

Andy
bluedrinks

Post by bluedrinks »

Ha Ha I guess this guy is looking for some psycedelic cactus.I have some beutiful san Pedros and I dread the day I walk out to find that sombody has cut and run off with them.I hear This is actually a big problem.kinda of drag to find your cactus hacked away.
Hey but the fruits your cactus will produce are mighty tasty.you should at least plant it.