Cutting Times

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
nccactus

Cutting Times

Post by nccactus »

I was wondering :?: if anyone knew a good time frame for rooting Aloe Vera and Christmas Cactus cuttings? I usually give all my cuttings 72 hours to callus over before planting them into the soil, and then give them 3 weeks before watering. This works great for all of my other cactus I cut. I find with Christmas cactus, the pads either completely dry out, or just retain their moisture but rot(they start changing to a paler color and ultimately die). I've also found that the Aloe Vera because of it's high moisture content takes longer than 3 days. As common as these plants are I know someone knows what to do. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :lol:
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I've never messed with aloe cuttings, mine through off suckers which I remove as new starts. As for the Epis (Christmas cactus) I resently recieved 11 different cuttings. From the time they were cut till I recieved them a week went by. Upon there arrival I simple stuck them in a potting mix and all 11 have took root and are showing growth 1 month after planting.
I would guess anytime during warm weather would be ok for cuttings but I'm new to the tropical cactus so you might wait for more knowledgeable advice :wink:

Bill
tillie

Post by tillie »

I took aloe cuttings a few months ago, I took one at the very base and one about halfway up the leaf. They aren't rooting, but they aren't rotting.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

As for your Christmas cacti, I've had similar issues. I think you definately want to keep it out of dry areas and not a lot of light. Definately no direct sunlight. Keep the soil damp, but not wet. I would think you should get a rooted cutting in about 2 weeks. It seems the ones I've lost have always been from my not paying attention to them.

Daiv