Succulent and Cactus Identification

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
mrsir

Succulent and Cactus Identification

Post by mrsir »

From reading the previous threads, I know that if I pose a question here It'll get answered. I'm pretty impressed about the diversity of experience and location on this forum. Enough praising :lol: , here's the question. Can anyone identify any of the plants in the pictures. I have 6 plants/groups of plants shown. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

http://community.webshots.com/user/mrsirpics
kari

Post by kari »

Welcome to the cacti looney bin!
\:D/

But seriously, we love helping anyone when we can. I'm sure we all started out here by asking a question or three! Unfortunately, I'm not the one for exotics! My main bag, next to scorpions (quit laughing, guys! :roll: ), is our native succulents, like cacti and agave, especially Texas and New Mexico, and I'm OK with the Arizona stuff.

However, Plant #3 could be one of our natives. Can you tell me something more about it?

Other than that, great looking assortment of plants!

cheers,
kari
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

The round pot with three in them I believe are the following:

A young Pachycereus marginatus

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... marginatus

Gymnocalycium mihanovichii

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... hanovichii

and Mammillaria gemnispina

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... gemnispina

The Mamm and Gymno will live next to each other for some time, but the Pachycereus has potential to get quite large.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

From reading the previous threads, I know that if I pose a question here It'll get answered. I'm pretty impressed about the diversity of experience and location on this forum. Enough praising
Boy, I can see some heads are gonna swell up :lol:
Yes this is a good forum and some talented people on it. I'm new at IDing but I can venture to say Plant #6 is a succulent known as Crassula argentea ( Jade plant) :wink:

Bill
mrsir

Post by mrsir »

daiv,

Your second and third idetnfications were right on, when I compared the real plants to the pictures you linked. The first plant doesn't look quite right, and when I did a search online it looked more like a Lemaireocereus Marginatus(mexican fence post). Then again, I trust your experience more than my own, so is it really Pachycereus marginatus?
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

OK, I believe I have plant #3 identified.

Cochemiea poselgeri

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... =poselgeri

Course, I could be mistaken. :?

Bill
ondy

Post by ondy »

I don't think #3 is a C. poselgari, it doesn't having any hooked spines. However the one in photos 4 and 5 quite possibly could be a poselgari but something about it doesn't look right. I have a C. poselgari and the tubers seem more spread out and the central spines are much longer than the one pictured there. As far the others I think Daiv is probably right or darn close. In the first group I think the one right front is a Mammillaria pringlei and the back right looks like a Gymnocalycium of sorts. The back left I'm going to go with either a Mammillaria compressa or a M. magnimamma. Front left, could be a M. gemnispina again, I'm just not sure.

Andy
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

mrsir wrote: I did a search online it looked more like a Lemaireocereus Marginatus(mexican fence post). Then again, I trust your experience more than my own, so is it really Pachycereus marginatus?
Lemaireocereus marginatus and Pachycereus marginatus are synonyms. Pachycereus is the latest accepted genus, so if you think L. marginatus is a match, then P. marginatus it is!

Don't worry, this kind of stuff is the inspiration for this site. ID is tough, hopefully we're making it easier one day at a time.

Daiv
mrsir

Post by mrsir »

Does anyone know what any of the plants in #4 are?
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi, the plants are not very distinct for a good ID but here goes. The one at 12 o'clock looks like Aloe ferox. The one at 3 o'clock looks like some sort of Haworthia. The one in the centre is some sort of Mammillaria, but a better pic is needed for ID. The one at 8 o'clock is probaably Cereus peruvianus monstrose but it is difficult to see (it is indistinct and could even be a Euphorbia, like Euphorbia suzanne) and the one at 9 o'clock is Crassula argentea.

The above comments are not a criticism of your photography skills, but close ups are almost essential for a good ID of plants.
gunhat

Re: Succulent and Cactus Identification

Post by gunhat »

#4 The mammillaria could be zeilmanniana, grown i too little light.

#3 is perhaps also zeilmanniana???. At least it seems to have had too little light, so it is probable quite different from a habitat plant.

The same goes for #5, which could be hahniana??

Gunnar
ondy

Post by ondy »

Interesting observation Gunnar. I hadn't thought of that. I often fail to take growing conditions into account.

Andy