Acetamiprid (insecticide) in the UK

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Grimm

Acetamiprid (insecticide) in the UK

Post by Grimm »

I visited B&Q in the UK recently and noticed that Scott's Bug Clear Ultra, with the active ingredient Acetamiprid, is being replaced on the shelves by Bug Clear Ultra 2 which has a different main active ingredient (although it still has neonics, if I remember correctly). Similarly their other Acetamiprid products are being replaced. The old bottles are being sold in their hundreds, at half price, suggesting that some form of legislation is forcing this change and the old bottles need to be sold off before it comes into force.
There's nothing on the internet about this, that I can find, but it could make pest control more difficult if the new formula is not as effective.

I will try to remember to pop by again and make a note of the new formula.
teo

Re: Acetamiprid (insecticide) in the UK

Post by teo »

I think EU (at least while your'e still a member) is limiting/banning the use of (most) neonicotinoids (at least outdoors) due to the effect on bees. There has been a switch from (at first) imidacloprid to tiakloprid and later to acetamiprid - and this (I guess) will also be banned. i have tried to stock some of the old bottles before they disappeared (I'm not using it where there are bees - mainly indoors)
CactusProgressiva

Post by CactusProgressiva »

I took a picture. The blurb for Bug Clear Ultra 2 says:

"An insecticide for ornamental plants that is effective against a range of common insects including: aphids, whitefly, scale insects, spider mites, caterpillars, lily beetles, leaf beetles and mealy bugs (useful control).

Contains rapeseed oil and pyrethrum, a chrysanthemum flower extract.

Rapeseed oil kills pests by forming an oil film on the undesired insect, preventing them from breathing. Pyrethrins are extracted from a member of the chrysanthemum family and give a fast acting and effective solution to control pests all around the garden."

Notably, it doesn't say "systemic" anywhere.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You can take it for granted that if an insecticide works they will ban it. I still miss the old Murphy's Systemic with Rogor. After using it you could see the mealies crawl to the end of the spines and commit suicide by jumping off! :lol:

As Teo says they seem to be bothered about insecticides killing bees if used outdoors, but are there any good insecticides that don't kill bees since they are intended to kill insects? I suppose the authorities think if they sold it for greenhouse only use there is always some idiot that would use it outside, so they simply ban it. I don't think it was amateur use of insecticides that was the problem with bees, but agricultural use over much larger areas than our yards or gardens and in much larger quantities.

A quote from the Web:-

"Pyrethrum is a natural insecticide extracted from the Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium plant. Natural is not a synonym for “safe,” however, and the chemical is toxic to mammals (especially cats), fish and insects. Pyrethrum is also toxic to bees, although not as toxic as many other insecticides."

So hardly really much of an advance in bee safety over the previous version.
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

I didn't know what it was so after reading this topic i went to the store and asked. They have it in powdered form 20 wt% active ingredient in a 100g packet that costs 3.5$. Maybe you can source it from abroad?
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

CactusProgressiva wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:26 pm I took a picture. The blurb for Bug Clear Ultra 2 says:

"An insecticide for ornamental plants that is effective against a range of common insects including: aphids, whitefly, scale insects, spider mites, caterpillars, lily beetles, leaf beetles and mealy bugs (useful control).

Contains rapeseed oil and pyrethrum, a chrysanthemum flower extract.

Rapeseed oil kills pests by forming an oil film on the undesired insect, preventing them from breathing. Pyrethrins are extracted from a member of the chrysanthemum family and give a fast acting and effective solution to control pests all around the garden."

Notably, it doesn't say "systemic" anywhere.
Many thanks :) I couldn't remember if it was Pyrethrin (plant based) or Permethrin (synthetic). I'm as suspicious as DaveW about whether any of these are any safer for bees than Acetamiprid, which is a very mild Neonic anyway.

I visited a local garden centre today and there was no sign of Acetamiprid products being withdrawn :? It could be that B&Q have decided to unilaterally stop selling Acetamiprid based products, and Scotts have produced alternatives for them and shops with similar policies :-k
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The latest information I can find for the UK is for February and Acetamiprid based products were still OK then:-

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/pest ... deners.pdf

http://www.pcs.agriculture.gov.ie/media ... 230218.pdf

This may be one reason B&Q are getting rid of Acetamiprid based products:-

https://www.hortweek.com/thiacloprid-no ... le/1433085

https://www.hortweek.com/study-mapping- ... le/1433449