Does this setup work?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Scrap

Does this setup work?

Post by Scrap »

I have managed to come by some seeds and will attempt to become a first time parent of baby cacti.
The seeds are:
gymnocalycium occultum
copiapoa cinerea albida
copiapoa cinerea
copiapoa lembeckii
copiapoa haseltoniana
gymnocalycium spegazzinii
echinocactus horizonthalonius

In my possession I have this box:
https://m2.ikea.com/se/sv/p/vaexer-plan ... -20318724/

I also have the adjoining LED lightbar with 100 umol/square meter/second with 40% red, 25% blue and 35% green light.

So far so good? I have heard that baby cacti prefer a crowd but this box forces them apart. Also, the openings on top are supposed to allow for airflow while retaining heat and moisture - is this appropriate? Or would a completely enclosed plastic box be better?

Finally, I have rootingcubes with 100% rockwool which fit in this box ( https://m2.ikea.com/se/sv/p/vaexer-odli ... -40317648/ ), is this suitable? Or is it better to concoct another soil mix? I have not recieved the seeds yet so I have time to order what I ned if the cubes do not suffice. /Malin
olof_n

Re: Does this setup work?

Post by olof_n »

Hi!

I have an Ikea box at home but have not used it for cacti seedlings. I have thought about moving bigger seedlings to the box because I like my cacti organized.
I would replace the Rockwool with a soil mix. A completely enclosed box would be better but if you keep the soil constantly moist everything will be alright. An enclosed box also prevents fungus gnats from entering (if you have fungus gnats in your house).
Scrap

Post by Scrap »

Thankyou for confirming my suspicions! From what i have learned gymnocalycium detests limestone, is there anything else to consider for these species? Many thanks! /Malin
7george

Post by 7george »

Your setup will be experimental and nobody knows how it will work. Better avoid limestone for all seedlings. You can use vermiculite, zeolite, clay grit or even quartz sand and avoid organic components. Perforated cover is not good: it will allow fungi and algae spores in. Try to sterilize seeds and that box and soil mix before you sow. Is the light sufficient you will know by how the seedlings grow first months. In the spring or summer remove the cover and re-pot grown up seedlings into new pots and better soil mix.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Scrap

Post by Scrap »

I will get hold of better soil and skip the box with a perforated cover. I will read up on how to sterilize, i did not know this could be done also with the seeds themselves. Many thanks! /Malin