Good idea or awful?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
ricelg

Good idea or awful?

Post by ricelg »

Friends

I have a fairly mature Ferocactus outdoors (roughly 12” tall x 6” wide). It’s very healthy.

Each year about this time, it forms 5-6 large flower heads on top, but they never get to open because of a handful of thick spines that block their ability to fully open.

I’m tempted to cut some of these spines to allow the flowers to “properly” open. Would this be seriously bad for the plant?

Thanks
DaveW

Re: Good idea or awful?

Post by DaveW »

It would not harm the plant, but cutting spines would spoil the plants appearance. Spines are there virtually forever, but flowers are merely a fleeting occurrence each year. All nature demands is that the pollinating insects can get in to pollinate the flowers in order to set fruit, not that the petals fully reflex.

Some of the very heavily curved spined Gymnocalycium's are the same where the flower only partially opens and never overtops the spines, being restricted by the apical spines. Obviously this has not stopped the flowers being fertilised or the species would have died out in nature. To me the spination of cacti is their main attraction, flowers though nice are really a bonus.
TimN

Post by TimN »

I agree with Dave, plus the spines are more interesting/attractive than most Fero flowers, IMO!

Plus, if you're getting robust spine growth that means you're doing something right.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Spine damage is permanent
The same areole will not regrow or heal the damaged spines

I'am not sure about fero's self-fertility or self-sterility...other might be able to supply you this info
But there would be no point of cutting your spines if it were self-sterile

EDWIN
ricelg

Post by ricelg »

Thanks all...appreciate your comments