Is This Euphorbia Cooperi?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
pone

Is This Euphorbia Cooperi?

Post by pone »

I purchased a plant that was supposed to be Euphorbia cooperi. Is the plant in the photo below the correct plant? It lacks the enlarged tip that a mature cooperi has.
http://www.cacti.co.nz/library/euphorbia-cooperi/

I planted this in pure pumice and it is turning white at the bottom. What does that signify? It also looks to be burning on the sun-pointed side. on the spines, which are turning brown. Does this plant need limited sun exposure?
2020-08-15 14.20.06 (Custom).jpg
2020-08-15 14.20.06 (Custom).jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 470 times
ImNotTelling

Re: Is This Euphorbia Cooperi?

Post by ImNotTelling »

I can only confirm that its not cooperi.
Reminds me of Euphorbia coerulescens.
pone

Post by pone »

ImNotTelling wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:41 am I can only confirm that its not cooperi.
Do you have a photo of a juvenile cooperi?
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

It needs to be in a richer mix than pure pumice - it's an easy to grow, vigorous species which will want quite a bit of water and nutrients over summer.
Doesn't look like E. cooperi to me either, i was thinking E. resinifera.
Change in spine colour isn't too important, they do that as they age, but the stem turning white isn't good.
Plants need time to adapt to full sun conditions - otherwise even the toughest species will get damage.

I'd repot into a conventional mix with a noticeable % of organic matter and keep it a bit shaded for a few weeks, plus give it some water
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
pone

Post by pone »

@esp_imaging I fertilize this plant with diluted fertilizer every week. I keep euphorbia in pumice because I leave them out in the rain in Winter in zone 9a, and I have lost them to root rot in soil mixes with organic components.
I will bring it into the shade for now. What does the white coloration indicate?
ImNotTelling

Post by ImNotTelling »

pone wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:57 am
ImNotTelling wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:41 am I can only confirm that its not cooperi.
Do you have a photo of a juvenile cooperi?
I have a photo of coerulescens
Ive had resinifera and seen it large. Doesnt have woody ridges on its ribs like this one.