Astrophytum or associated taxa?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
alabamaplants

Astrophytum or associated taxa?

Post by alabamaplants »

I purchased this plant at a greenhouse a number of years ago. The owner said the tag had been lost for some time. It flowers about once every three to four weeks in summer. The flowers only last for a couple of days. It has a very fragrant flower. Is this a species of Astrophytum or some related taxa of spineless cacti. Thank you for your time!
Attachments
IMG_3051a.JPG
IMG_3051a.JPG (70.65 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
IMG_3052a.JPG
IMG_3052a.JPG (53.37 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Mrs.Green

Re: Astrophytum or associated taxa?

Post by Mrs.Green »

My guess; Echinopsis subdenutata.
alabamaplants

Post by alabamaplants »

Mrs.Green, Thank you for your response! I believe you are correct.
gillinger

Post by gillinger »

You're lucky to see the flowers. Mine flowered for the first time when I was on holiday 🙁
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

gillinger wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:49 am You're lucky <...>
Lucky twice* cause I have the same but with unscented flowers. ))
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

alabamaplants wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:34 pm Mrs.Green, Thank you for your response! I believe you are correct.
My pleasure 🙂

anttisepp wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:55 am [quote=gillinger post_id=401987 time=<a href="tel:1690012157">1690012157</a> user_id=15355] You're lucky <...>
Lucky twice* cause I have the same but with unscented flowers. ))
[/quote]

Me too.. In fact I have several of the species and none of them have what I would call a scented flower.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

alabamaplants,
you have a very nice plant & I do like your pictures, too.

Hi folks,
do your plant flower through the night, too? -- I have now the 3rd Echinopsis subdenutata. They all flowered very often during summer, as you say. Mine open up at about 2:00am to 2:00pm, and with a wonderful citrussy fragrance.
Usually they grow their buds close to the top as seen in those wonderful pictures. This summer mine growsadditional buds closer to the base, maybe just for a change.

Please let me piggypack on this thread:
The first two stayed with me for about three years. Because of their great bloom & easy availability in the local DIY markets, I just have tried again & again. I just wanted to ask for advice about that plant, as I would love them to stay longer.
Does anybody know anything special they would like? I give them well draining soil, a summer on the balcony with loads of sun + a cool winter in an unheated stairwell.
Thanks
N.

Just checked: This seems to be the lucky Three, it is here for over four years now -- keeping fingers crossed.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.