Question to those with cacti planted in the ground

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
CoronaCactus

Question to those with cacti planted in the ground

Post by CoronaCactus »

Quick question for those of you who plant your cacti in the ground.

Do you group same genera's together?

I like variety and usually just go for what visually pleases me, but thought i'd ask anyway, incase there are some advantages or diasadvantages to this. Or is it pretty much indifferent who their neighbours are?

They all get watered by hand, but could the ones that need more water affect the nearby ones that don't require as much?

I'm probably thinking into this too much, but better to ask and know, than to not ask and fail.

thanks.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Well I have a few in the ground :roll: Allbeit there mostly the same genera i do have a few others scattered around.
I too like a mixture in an area instead of the same genera bunched together. Wait, prickly's grow in bunches :lol:

I do have some that definitely don't need to be watered as often as some so I would just give them a little space and not water them as often. Unless you totally drench your cacti I don't believe nearby ones would be effected very much :wink:

Oh, cacti enjoy company. Just don't let the neighbors move in.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sometimes I do group the genera toghether or put the plants that might flower at the same time so I can have colors in one spot. I also just scatter them around.

Mark
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Darryl,
I have never even considered placing cacti by genus in the ground. Because of the arid weather, even the ones that do not appreaciate a lot of water will do fine and I do not have to apply water frequently or at all. Some others that are a bit more thirsty I do water more regularly. I do like to mix things up, because I prefer to have different forms grouped together, but then I am not an overly serious amateur grower.

Harald
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hey Darryl,well you have seen what I have done so you know that I like the "group" thing.
I dont think you will have any problems planting them however you see fit,as long as you have good drainage, give the vigorous types space to grow into and keep the non cold hardy plants were they wont be in full shade during the coldest months of the year.
This will keep the cashualties to a minimum. :)
Also an observation,after my larger plants, mostly Opuntias, really started growing they suck the water out of the ground very fast. The little plants get just enough to keep them happy and never have to sit in wet soil, so its all good :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Loph

Post by Loph »

i go by what is better for wet conditions....more sensitive sp go on higher ground with more drainage, more tolerant ones stay lower. but now after the recent storms i have no cacti in the ground as the floods took em all away.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thanks for your comments.

So ya, i was thinking into it too much :D

After moving my plants to the new area and going over MANY placement changes...i find myself with 2 critical casulties and 3 sunburn cacti. :shock:

I think the 2 critical casulties are from too much water...i did not take the lawn irrigation into account and it must be watering them everyday!! The base of the bodies are VERY dark and ugly. I fear the worst :cry:
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Another related question...

How small is too small to go in the ground?

Is there some sort of general rule on this? I have a few little guys that just seem so lost in the mix being so small.

I figured it would probably be better to grow them in pots for a year or so and then plant them in the ground...but in habitat, they all start small anyway.

What do ya'll think?
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Darryl- I poke around in the wilds a lot and rarely see any baby cacti. (Opuntia/Cylindropuntia seedlings are an exception, as well as very young Sclerocacti). I've reached the conclusion that aliens sneak out into the desert with starship-raised specimens and plant them. Or, well, the more "rational" conclusion that very small, very young cacti are super hard to find because they are highly sheltered under nurse plants, rocks, debris, what have you.

If you can provide a shady and protected spot for young ones they should be fine.

peterb
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thanks Peter. Your alien theory makes a sound arguement....i think :lol: I mean they do have a community in Roswell :roll:

I'll eventually think of a creative way to keep them protected, while still visible. Give them what they want, so they can give me what i want.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Darryl,
One thing I've learned is that in the ground you are more likely to have casualties.

At first I stuck everything in the ground. Then I noticed a dead one, then another, then one that was almost dead. I found that if I had a plant suffering in the ground, I could quickly revive it by potting it up.

I actually have some before/after pictures of my Echinocereus viereckii subsp. morricalii that I was going to post here, but never got around to it.

Now a big factor for me was that the plants in the ground had a lot more sun and a lot less water than they got in pots. Oh and more heat because of the plexi-glass fence which acted like a greenhouse. While some suffered from this, others thrived. It would have been tough to get those S. stellatus flowers otherwise.

I did group like kinds together, but not for growing reasons, just because I liked it.

Eventually, I only planted larger and inexpensive/common plants in the ground.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thanks for your input Daiv.

My plants are all still in pots, i've just been placing them around in their pots.

After further thought, it'll be best to keep the smaller ones in pots and those that seem to need a bit more TLC before they go in the ground.

I hear ya, which is why i'm asking alot of questions before i do stuff. We have alot of money in these plants!! and i don't want to lose them.
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

I've had in ground plantings for years and from the beginning almost all were put in based on available room and/or the fact that I liked it there!

After many years, I have a name for the successful ones ... Survivors :) :) They have now become a sort of guide to the microclimates in my yard so my success has increased with the years. "Like with like" really needs to be based on needs, not species or country.

A good strategy that I discovered after a few years is to simply place your planted pot where you would like to have it later then wait for a few months. If it thrives in that location, it will likely be happy with trading the pot space for ground space. If not, move the pot to a different setting and see if it is happier.

The main issue I have had in ground is that some things that are well behaved and managable in a pot become agressive weeds when given plentiful root room and care. I have removed literally, truck loads of overgrown mistakes. You will be suprised how soon that single Opuntia pad or a 8" dia Agave can become 2 cubic yards of compacted plant materials!!

I now try to always leave room to swing the machete :)

GeneS
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thank you Gene.

I had thought of that, just placing them in the pots over a period of time and observing how they do...but i have 2 things working against me (actually make that 3)

1. Looks kinda ugly with different colored and sized pots. Worth it if the plants are better off of course.

2. Have read about how the roots get much hotter in pots and could cook them. (most of the pots are black)

3. My wife :|

BTW, Gene, next time you have a truckload to haul off...call me!! be happy to take away your.... ahem, waste :D :D
firelab

Post by firelab »

I have built several raised beds with either 100%DG or 50:50 DG and top soil to get excellent drainage. most of what i had originally were in 4" pots so the elevation made them more viewable. i did group mine by geographic region. i'm in riverside, so i found that most south american cacti like "less" sun. they've been moved to under shade cloth. the southwest and mexican stuff is in full sun. the ones listed as needing light shade, or which have less spinage are sheltered under rocks or shaded by larger plants. the ones that i have get burned are echinocereus on a south facing wall with both reflected as well as direct sun.

growth rates will increase, so either plan accordingly OR take over more space. i'm landscaping the front now.

don't get to stuck on anything, just move it around.

michael j. green