Double Grafting On Pereskiopsis?

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Aridocity

Double Grafting On Pereskiopsis?

Post by Aridocity »

I have any assortment of seedlings which I would like to graft soon. I also have some Pereskiopsis which I was going to use for grafting them.

Then I read on the following web site that I would have to remove them in 1 to 2 years and graft them again onto a more permanent stock:

http://pollenchaser.awardspace.com/grafting_stock.html

I was wondering if I could just start a bunch of Harrisia jusbertii from seed and graft those Harrisia seedlings onto the Pereskiopsis. Once the Harrisia are 1 to 2 inches high I could then graft my other seedlings onto the grafted Harrisia.

That way I would only have to remove the Harrisia to root and already have my seedlings growing on a robust type of permanent stock.

I am just nervous about grafting and then removing grafted plants such as Epithelantha, Mammilaria and Gymnocalycium from the Pereskiopsis in 1 or 2 years since they may not root very easily. This double grafting seems like a safer approach since I understand that Harrisia roots easily.

Has anyone already tried this? I would really like to have my plants grow as fast as possible.
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Hello,you can leave them on the Pereski for twice that long or longer
you could just grow the Harrisia from seed in the soil for 3-4 years while your Epithelantha ect.seedlings are growing on the
Pereski stocks then after 3-4 years graft the seedlings on the Harrisia.

BTW welcome to the forum and thanks for posting that link I have been looking for that one a long time
I see they now even have a link to Cactiguide 8)
Loph

Post by Loph »

are you wondering if you can graft harrisia to pereskiopsis AND graft your little ones on top of the harrisia? so it would go pereskiopsis to harrisia to _____________(scion specie)?

i think that would do little but slow things down. be better, in my opinion, to graft to pereskiopsis and when larger graft to harrisia like cactus butt said.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yeah, neat link. So it sounds like a three-way graft. I suppose there is not a limit to just two cacti together. I suppose you could have a whole chain of cacti grafted together.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Aridocity

Post by Aridocity »

Hey cactusbutt, Loph, and Daiv,

Thanks for the feedback. Considering your suggestions, I think I will graft most of the scions directly to the Pereskiopsis and save just a few to try out the double graft idea.

The Pereskiopsis are very thin and I am guessing limited to mostly small seedlings for grafting purposes.

I thought maybe with the double graft idea I would have more seedling size flexibility regarding when to graft. The idea here is the Harrisia already growing on the Pereskiopsis will have a larger surface area vascular ring to accept a wider range size of seedling grafts on the top.

I thought this way those grafts would still benefit from the nutrient supply pumped up from the Pereskiopsis and then pumped up through the Harrisia.

Since the Harrisia is already sucking up some of the nutrients from the Pereskiopsis, I thought there might be less risk of graft distortion or excessive pupping. I would prefer to grow mostly single headed grafts as fast as possible, but I am willing to endure some pupping since I understand the pups can be removed and grafted to grow into nice single head specimens.

Another reason for placing the Harrisia seedlings on the Pereskiopsis first is to prevent the stem of the Pereskiopsis from penetrating too deeply into the graft. I have read that this form of penetration by the Pereskiopsis stem can be a drawback when it comes time to remove the graft from the Perekiopsis.

I have read that any small amount of Pereskiopsis stem still inside or attached to the graft might cause a rot problem later on and I was wishing to avoid this.

Although the Pereskiopsis stem will still penetrate into the Harrisia, I can still cut well above the point of union on the Harrisia in 2 years and have my fully established scion still attached to a short Harrisia stock. I understand that the Harrisia stocks root easily and are rot resistant as long as it is not too wet or cold.

Anyway those are my reasons for the double grafting on Pereskiopsis idea. I will test it out with a few of my Pereskiopsis and graft most of my other seedlings directly onto the Pereskiopsis.

My Pereskiopsis are almost fully rooted so I will be grafting later this week. I think this will be fun to see how fast everything might grow.